Critical examination of leadership in nursing including leadership theory, communication, problem-solving, change and influence, and conflict which upon review and examination will support the development of personal and professional leadership skills at the individual RPN level. These courses provide online asynchronous learning – your Instructors provide reading materials, activities and assignments that can be accessed at any time each week. This course runs: Spring (April 10), Summer (June 19) & Fall (Sept 18) 2023.
Week 1: Leadership
- Leadership vs Management
- Leadership traits & skills
Week 2: Leadership (continued)
- Leadership characteristics
- Practices of exemplary leadership
Week 3: Communication
Health care reform: how it impacts nurses and patient care
- Communicating powerfully
- Communication styles
- Communicating through stories
Week 4: Problem Solving
Influencing health care decisions at the national and provincial levels
- Critical thinking
- Decision making
- Problem solving
Week 5: Change & Influence
Influencing health care policy
- Types of change
- Six sources of influence
Week 6: Conflict
Funding, allocation & delivery of health care
- Sources & types of conflict
- Conflict resolution
- Productive conflict
Week 7: Personal Leadership
Influencing policies at your workplace: a key role for the nursing profession
- Emotional intelligence
- Leadership traits & skills assessment
- Personal leadership development plan
Week 8: Organizational (continued)
Impacts of the nursing profession on health care decisions
- Your leadership development
Upon completion of the course of part one, the learner will be able to:
- Identify how to be a remarkable leader
- Communicate powerfully
- Demonstrate how to problem solve through decision making and critical thinking
- Recognize and reiterate conflict resolution techniques
- Identify exemplary leadership practices and influence during change
- Develop a Personal Leadership Development Plan
Day & Time
Asynchronous discussions in e-learning environment
Must be an RPN or other health care professional. Participants must have access to a computer, the Internet and possess basic computer skills to participate in the electronic class discussions.
Program Length & Delivery
The program is an eight-week eLearning course.
Upon completion, you will receive a certificate from WeRPN.
For course information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Register today: https://eshop.werpn.com/product-category/education-courses/
This course will be facilitated by Sharon Foster RPN. Sharon’s prior teaching experience at George Brown and her 10 years of hospital nursing experience in Emergency, is complemented by her leadership as a Professional Practice Associate and Education Coordinator at WeRPN, and her work on many committees.
WeRPN Members: $275.00 + HST = $310.75
Non-Members: $357.50 + HST = $403.98
This course is limited to 25 participants; registration is available on a first-come first serve basis, however, a waitlist will be available with notification provided to interested registrants.
To register please contact email@example.com for assistance or Register online at: https://eshop.werpn.com/product-category/education-courses/
Course Refund Process
- If you would like to withdraw from a course, please submit written notice prior to the date the course begins to be eligible for a refund (less a $25 administration fee).
- Deferring a course to a later date will not incur the administration fees and the participant may select any course within one year of the initial registration date without penalty.
- Course fees are non-refundable after 50% completion of the course duration
- A request for a refund at any other point during the course must be submitted in writing for a partial refund (less the $25 administrative fee)