Nursing Education Initiative  >  NEI Application FAQs

The following is a list of frequently asked questions and answers about the Nursing Education Initiative, including information related to dates, supporting documentation, and the application procedure.

When does the funding year begin and end?

Funding is allocated on a quarterly basis. The term of the funding year is April 1 to March 31. The table below shows the dates of the four fiscal quarters.

First Fiscal Quarter:  Apr 1 – Jun 30
Second Fiscal Quarter:  Jul 1 – Sep 30
Third Fiscal Quarter:  Oct 1 – Dec 31
Fourth Fiscal Quarter:  Jan 1 – Mar 31

What is considered to be proof of successful completion of the professional development activity?

Proof of successful completion can be a passing grade report, course certificate, or transcript from the educational institution;  a certificate of attendance at a conference or workshop;  or a printout from a student-based web-service. The proof of successful completion must include your name, the course name and the course completion date. Original documents are not required; copies are sufficient. Applications that do not include proof of successful completion will be declined.

When do I submit my request for reimbursement?

Please submit your completed application form within 90 days after the education end date. The education end date is the last day of class/course or day of exam. The education end date is not the date on which marks/grades are released. Applicants enrolled in college/university programs must submit applications within 90 days of completion of the individual course, not the completion of the program and/or semester.

How are funding decisions made?

All applications are evaluated using objective, pre-established criteria.

Is funding guaranteed to applicants who meet all of the eligibility criteria?

No, an applicant is not guaranteed funding, even if the applicant meets all of the eligibility criteria.

Why are some applications put on hold?

Funding is allocated on a quarterly basis. In the event that the request for funds in any quarter exceeds the funding allocated for that quarter, eligible unfunded applications for the quarter will be placed on hold until the end of the fiscal year (March 31) and considered at that time should funding allow. Please note that funding is not guaranteed.

What does my proof of payment (receipt) need to show?

The proof of payment (receipt) must show the name of the education provider (the name of the institution), the student’s full name, the course name (or workshop, conference etc.), the term/semester the payment is for, and the breakdown of fees paid, specifying the tuition fee paid. The proof of payment must state the full amount has been paid or the amount has been paid in full. Only tuition related fees can be considered. Other expenses included on a receipt that are not related to tuition will not be reimbursed. Copies of T2202A, personal cheques or credit card/bank statements are insufficient without accompanying payment documentation from your educational provider that verifies the fee amount being requested.

What is not eligible for reimbursement?

Other expenses included on a receipt that are not related to tuition will not be reimbursed.  For example, payments made for course materials, books, exam fees, administrative fees, activity fees, incidental fees, ancillary fees, campus fees, travel, meals, accommodation, salary replacement, membership, subscriptions etc. are not eligible for reimbursement and will not be reimbursed.

How do I determine the individual course fee if my tuition fees were paid by the term?

To determine the individual course fee, divide the tuition fee per term by the number of courses (not number of credits) that term comprises. Please do not include non-tuition fees when making this calculation.

What type of education is eligible?

If you are an RPN who is receiving education that will enhance the quality of care and services provided by the nurses of Ontario, and the education is provincially recognized, the education will be considered for a grant. All applications are reviewed for eligibility and scored according to criteria based on funding priorities.

Please note that courses for non-medically necessary procedures such as Botox are not eligible for grant.

Are distance learning and education acquired outside of Canada eligible for reimbursement?

Yes, distance learning and education acquired outside of Canada are eligible for reimbursement funding provided that the professional development activity is relevant to your core of professional practice.  Proof of payment and proof of completion are required.  Applications that do not include proof of payment and proof of successful completion will be declined.

How do I submit a reimbursement request for tuition fees paid in foreign currency?

To submit a reimbursement request for tuition fees paid in a foreign currency, you must provide proof of exchange rate valid on the day of the transaction. (Proof of exchange rate can be made by providing a copy of your credit card statement or online banking printout with your receipt of payment.)

If proof of exchange rate is not included with the application, the exchange rate that was valid on the Bank of Canada in the transaction date (date of payment/receipt) will be applied.

When do I submit copies of my receipt and grades?

Copies of your receipt of payment and proof of successful completion must be included with your application submission. Please be sure to submit your application form by the deadlines. Late and/or incomplete applications will be declined.

Can I get advanced funding for a course?

The professional development activity must be completed prior to submitting an application. No advanced funding is provided.

How does the application procedure work?

When your application is processed (up to 6 weeks from the date we received it) an email will be sent to you confirming receipt of the application.

How do I submit an application?

Applications must be submitted using our secure online application form. Please note that we are no longer accepting applications submitted through fax, mail or e-mail.

Why do I have to provide my Social Insurance Number?

The applicant’s Social Insurance Number must be provided to comply with federal and provincial income tax laws. T4A information will be sent to all individuals who have received funding from this program. For more information see Paragraph 56.1.n of the Income Tax Act or visit

Why do I receive a T4A slip?

By law, recipients of funding from the Nursing Education Initiative are to be issued T4A information. This information is also reported to the Canada Revenue Agency. The T4A will outline the total funding issued during the calendar year. Note that all professional development courses reimbursed during the calendar year may total more than $1,500, if full funding was received in more than one fiscal year. For information about Canadian income tax law please contact the Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281 or visit

Stay Informed! Sign up for RPN nursing news, policy updates, education programs and events.