IBSIG was granted an associate membership in 1997 by WeRPN. With the ever-changing utilization and professional development opportunities for Registered Practical Nurses (RPNs), the independent businesses for RPNs has evolved as well. Today, many nurses have businesses in diverse areas as Massage Therapy, Footcare, Wellness & Lifestyle Management, Tai Chi Exercise and Naturopathic Medicine, all with the focus of meeting the health care needs of Ontarians.
IBSIG and its members strive to build a ‘gold standard’ of nursing practice in their individual (and non-traditional) nursing-based businesses through education and collaboration.
Our purpose is to allow those who are operating independent businesses to be guided through entrepreneurship and assist them to make informed business decisions, network with colleagues, and acquire education in various areas of business ownership: e.g. insurance, taxes, fees, government interaction, veteran’s affairs, legal issues.
- Attain a professional standard and take individual accountability for our independent businesses
- Work together and communicate
- Adhere to CNO Standards of Practice, Best Practice Guidelines & Practice Review
- Provide education, workshops, and conferences
- Provide a Canada-wide support network for nurses in independent practices
- Provide pertinent information to those nurses who are establishing, or intending to establish an independent nursing practice
- Maintain optimum standards of practice by providing continuing education on a regular basis in the form of workshops, speakers, etc.
- Be aware of current health care issues with specific consideration to issues related to working in an independent business setting
- Provide input and support for any health care issues in IB nursing practice by becoming involved with local, provincial, and federal governments
- Raise awareness of the role and importance of nurses in IB through lobbying and promoting ourselves for recognition as competent and competitive health care providers with extended health care plans and insurance companies
WeRPN Student Members: Join IBSIG and become part of a growing voice!
In this era of changing health care, among the practice settings you may choose are hospital, long-term care, community nursing, medical clinic, agency, education, and independent business.
Join IBSIG while you are a student for FREE. We promote self-learning through our newsletters, conferences, and networking with colleagues in this field.
As RPNs, IBSIG members abide by and adhere to CNO’s Mandate and Standards of Practice. We also embrace WeRPN’s mission and values.
Learn more at http://ibsig.ca